This affects Smartsign versions 8.0 to 9.12 installed on premise using default Weather widgets.
Due to service changes made by YR.no (2017-07) the service no longer responds correctly to Smartsign's data requests. Fortunately this can be resolved by adjusting the server configuration in Smartsign.
The below actions will resolve the issue for all hardware based players such as Samsung, LG and Android. For Windows based players these steps can be skipped.
Server version 9.5 or higher
- Logon to Smartsign Publisher as Admin (siteAdmin is not enough)
- Go to the root site, if you have more than one site
- Click "Services" in the main menu to the left
- Select your server in the list of services
- Click "Conversion" under Roles in the detail view
- Click "Change"
- Select the "RSS" tab
- Change the setting ForceFeedUpdateForRss to "False"
- Click "Save"
The setting will apply immediately. No further action is required.
Server version 8 to 9.4
- Logon to the Windows server where Smartsign Display Manager is installed
- Access the file system and browse to the directory where Smartsign is installed
- Open the file SmartsignServer.exe.config with a text editor such as Notepad
- Search for "ForceFeedUpdateForRss" to find the relevant setting
- Change the value of the setting to "False"
- Save the file
- Restart the windows service named "Smartsign Server 9" (or 8) to apply the setting.
Smartsign Player 8.0 to 9.9.37 (Windows)
- Login to Windows on the player computer
- If needed, press Escape to quit the Player
- Open file system explorer and go to "C:\ProgramData\Smartsign AB\Smartsign Player"
- Open the file named "player.config", "player8.config", "player9.config" or player9.9.config using a text editor such as Notepad. (name depends on player version)
- Search for the setting named "ForceNoCache", it looks like this:
<setting name="ForceNoCache" value="True" />
- Change it to: <setting name="ForceNoCache" value="False" />
- Save and close the file
- Start the Player again
Starting with Player version 9.9.38 this setting can be changed remotely as well. Please note that the player must be online to do so. Changes made while the player is offline will revert to the previous value when it connects.
- Login to Smartsign Publisher as an administrator
- Go to Players
- Select the player that you wish to change
- Click "Edit" in the right hand detail view
- Scroll down to "Advanced"
- Select the "Player" tab
- Find the setting "ForceNoCache" and change it from "True" to "False"
- Scroll up and click "Save"
- The player may require a restart for the setting to apply